Commuter Airlines at Long Island MacArthur Airport

[ad_1]

Introducing:

Although commuter flight operations conducted by a series of almost exclusively turboprop aircraft capable of accommodating between 19 and 50 passengers reinforce Long Island MacArthur Airport's planned history of six and a half decades, they were an integral part of its development as a regional airport that delivers both origin and destination and connection lines, aligned with two-letter letters that share links to many northeastern cities with equipment optimized for sector length, demand, capacity, frequency and cost.

These services can be subdivided into the categories "Starting Service", "Airport Shuttle to the Area", "Northeast Shuttle Service", "Hub Feed Code Sharing" and "Last Commuter Operator Operation".

First service:

The original scheduled service, inaugurated shortly after the airport's 5,000-square-foot, rectangular-shaped terminal, resulted in a tri-city route system connecting Long Island with Boston, Newark and Washington, and operated in 1959 by Gateway Airlines with de Havilland DH. 104 Dove and DH.114 Heron aircraft.

The former, a conventional low-wing monoplanet with a 57-foot span and two de Havilland Gipsy Queen 70 Mk 3 six-cylinder, air-cooled, 400 hp piston engines, was designed to meet the Brabazon range's type VB specifications for post-war mini or commuter lines, but nonetheless incorporated several "big aircraft" advancements, including all-metal Redux gluing, geared and supercharged power plants, brake propellers, power-driven tailgate flaps, and a three-wheeled motor vehicle configuration.

Similar to that, its DH.114 Heron successor, sitting between 14 and 17 in an 8.6-foot cabin, was powered by four 250hp Gipsy Queen 30 Mk 2 piston engines and had a gross weight of 13,500 pounds, whose lift was easier at a 71.6 foot wingspan. It first flew in prototype on May 10, 1950.

Unhappy and short-lived, the Gateway Airlines flights lasted only eight months, but were, however, the air threshold for Long Island MacArthur's future northeast commuter operations.

Airport transfers:

While Gateway's Newark service paved the way for other similar airport transportation areas in the area, it demonstrated that if Long Island MacArthur could not offer additional remote control alone, it could offer quick hop connections to other, more established New York airports that could .

Such an attempt, though slightly longer in duration, occurred between 1979 and 1980 with Nitlyn Airways, whose Piper PA-31-350 Navajo chiefs attempted to feed TWA's flights at JFK.

Navajo intended to be a successor to the company's PA-23-250 double-piston private and executive Aztec, and had a length of 34.6 feet and 40.8 feet. Powered by two 425-hp Lycoming TIGO-541-E1A six-cylinder, horizontally opposed engines, it had a gross weight of 7,800 pounds and 1,285 miles of range and could be configured with various standard, commuter and business seating for up to eight running aboard using a rear left stair door.

Much later in MacArthur's history, another airline that had greater longevity and success connected Long Island Airport with Newark International Airport. In this case, the carrier was Brit, operating under a Continental Express code sharing agreement for the purpose of feeding Continental & # 39; s main line flights, and the equipment included the very modern ATR-42-300.

This design, which has not yet been monitored by a more advanced turboprop by 2020, is still one of the two leading regional airlines.

Following recent developments in European cooperation, the French Aerospatial and Italian Aeritalia airlines chose to collaborate with a regional airline combining design elements of their respective, once independent AS-35 and AIT-230 proposals.

Redesigned the ATR-42 letters representing the French "Avions de Transport Regional" and "Aerei di Trasporto Regionale" and the number reflecting the average seating capacity – the high-wing, dual-turbo, non-full-tail with its main undercarriage bogies pulling into the hull on the underside of the bladders were driven by two 1,800-shk Pratt and Whitney Canada PW120 engines when they first flew as ATR-42-200 on August 16, 1984. Production version , ATR-42-300, contained updated 2,000 shp power plants.

Of modern airplane construction, it holds up to 49 four-a-foot passengers with a central hallway, main storage room, a flat ceiling, a galley and a toilet.

Granted his French and Italian airworthiness certificate in September 1985 after final assembly in Toulouse, France, the scheduled service took place four months later on December 9 with Air Littoral. With a maximum takeoff weight of 37,300 pounds, it had a maximum speed of 265 knots at a ceiling of 25,000 feet.

Northeast Commuter Service:

Although Gateway Airlines was the first to provide northeast commuter service from the then-new Islip airport, many carriers followed in the decades that followed – this time from the new oval passenger terminal that replaced the original rectangular one.

One of the early ones was Pilgrim Airlines, which operated two nonstops to Albany, one to Groton / New London, two to New Haven and a single frequency to Washington-National, mainly with de Havilland from Canada's DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft.

With the robust simplicity of its predecessor, the single-engine DHC-3 Otter, designed for remote, unprepared fieldwork often in the bush, it retained its basic high-wing configuration and many of its wing and hull components, but introduced twice as many power plants. With a larger overall length of 51.9 feet to facilitate the installation of up to 20 seats divided at once, a 65 foot buckle with double-slotted tailgate and a redesigned nose and tail, it still used Otter's fixed, tricycle undercarriage and capacity for short take-off and landing (STOL).

Powered by two 652-hp Pratt and Whitney Canada PT6A-27 engines, it first flew on May 20, 1965. Its three versions included the DHC-6-200 with a longer nose for increased luggage space and the DHC-6-300 which had a maximum speed of 210 mph and a gross weight of 12,500 pounds.

Aside from Fokker F.27 friendship, the DHC-6 became Twin Otter Pilgrim’s workhorse, making the 20-minute hop across Long Island Sound from Islip to New Haven. On December 1, 1985, its system plan, it announced, covered "New nonstops to Washington and New Haven."

NewAir Connecticut competition, originally named New Haven Airways, offered identical service. Based at Tweed New Haven Airport, it advertised itself as "Connecticut's airline connection" but used low-wing, equally sized Embraer EMB-110 Bandeirante commuter aircraft.

Named after the Brazilians who explored and colonized the western part of the country in the 17th century, the conventional design with two three-bladed turboprops and a retractable three-wheeled undercarriage accommodated between 15 and 18 passengers. It was the first South American commercial aircraft commissioned by European and American carriers.

Originally sporting circular passenger windows and powered by PT6A-20 engines, it entailed a three-prototype certification program, with each aircraft first taken on the air on October 28, 1968, October 19, 1969 and June 26, 1970. Although initially designated C- 95 when the EMB-110 was certified two years later on August 9, when the Brazilian Air Force (for 60 of the type) was launched and commissioned.

Powered by PT6A-27 engines, production planes with square passenger windows, a 50.3-foot wingspan, a front, left air stair door and redesigned nacelles were included to allow the main chassis to be fully closed in the retracted position.

Designated EMB-110C and accommodating 15, entered the type of scheduled service with Transbrasil on April 16, 1973, and it was integrated to meet its and VASP's feederline needs.

Six rows of three-seat seats with a staggered gait and 12,345 pounds of gross weights characterized the third-level / commuter EMB-110P version, while the longer aircraft body EMB-110P2, first commissioned by the French commuter company Air Littoral, was powered by upgraded, 750- shp PT6A-34s and offered space for 21st.

According to NewAir's schedule on September 1, 1983, it served the eight destinations of Baltimore, Islip, New Haven, New London, Newark, New York-La Guardia, Philadelphia and Washington-National. From the Long Island MacArthur itself, it offered two daily departures to Baltimore, two to New Haven and one to New London.

Air service was also offered to neighboring Rhode Island by Newport State Airport-based National Air. "All aircraft are operated with 22-passenger CASA C-212-200 aircraft, providing National Air passengers with widebody, stand-up ceiling height comfort," it was announced. "In-flight service (beverages only) is provided on all flights by courteous flying."

Designed by Construcciones Aeronautics SA (CASA) as a multi-role transport for the Spanish Air Force, the high-wing, dual-engine, fixed three-wheel bike rack designed sports hall-shaped passenger windows, a dorsal fin and a rear loading ramp leading to the uninterrupted box-shaped cabin. Its civil use was nevertheless considered from the start of design.

Thinking of a replacement for the Spanish air defense, now-defunct Junkers Ju.52 / 3ms, Douglas DC-3s and CASA 207 Azors, it was powered by two 776-shk Garrett AiResearch TPE331 turboprops. Two prototypes, first flying on March 26 and October 23, 1971, preceded the first production example, which went to heaven a year later on November 17.

In military form, it was operated as a parachute, an air ambulance, a cargo plane, a crew trainer and a photographer, while its commercial counterpart, the C-212C, accommodated 19 passengers.

C-212-200, with a total length of 44.9 feet, 62.4 feet of wingspan, 900-hp Garrett AiResearch TPE331-10-501C engines, a cruise speed of 219 mph, a service ceiling of 28,000 feet and a 16,093-pound gross weight, had a range of 470 miles with its maximum fuel.

By the end of 1981, 292 civilian and military aircraft had been operating in 27 countries.

From Islip, National Air drove three daily departures to Newport to the east with continued service to Providence and Boston and three to New York-JFK to the west. Philadelphia was the only other destination in its minuscule route system at this time. Passenger check-in, like NewAir, took place at Pilgrim Airlines ticket desk.

Another New England-served state from Islip was Vermont appropriately named Air Vermont.

Based in Morrisville and established in 1981, it served 13 Northeastern cities according to the schedule October 1, 1983: Albany, Berlin (New Hampshire), Boston, Burlington, Hartford, Long Island, Nantucket, Newport (Vermont), New York-JFK , Portland, Washington-National, Wilkes-Barre / Scranton and Worcester. It also used the now crowded Pilgrim Airlines facilities.

Its fleet consisted of Piper PA-31-350 Navajo Chiefangers and Beech C99s.

The latter, perhaps its "flagship," was a development of Queen Air business / executive aircraft whose capacity was inadequate for commuter routes. Exposed to a body stretch in 1965, giving it a new 44.7 feet total length, it was now able to accommodate 15 passengers arranged in single seats on each side of a central hallway. It contained a rear left stair door.

Powered by two 715-horsepower Pratt and Whitney Canada PT6A-27 engines, yet resembling its Queen Air predecessor with its low wing, conventional tail and retractable three-wheel bike chassis, it received its FAA type approval on May 2, 1968. With a 10,900-pound gross weight and 283 km / h maximum cruise speed, it had between a range of 530 and 838 miles, depending on payload-to-fuel ratio.

Commuter Airlines in Chicago inaugurated it in operation. Although 164 B99s and B99As were produced, the C99, with a 44-cubic foot perpetual sub-aircraft, provided a necessary addition to the otherwise standard rear and rear trunk. The latter, which marked the resumption of type production in 1979, had updated 715-shk PT6A-36 engines and a maximum speed of 285 knots at 8,000 feet. It flew for the first time on June 20 the following year.

National Air offered three daily nonstops to Newport with the flight departing at 1 p.m. 0935, 1345 and 1850. Everyone continued on to Albany and Burlington.

There were several other commuter companies that, like actors, appeared periodically and temporarily on the MacArthur stage to collect passengers and transport them to northeastern destinations with a view to making money. Many did not.

For example, Albany-based Mall Airways, which existed between 1973 and 1989, served 18 destinations in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Virginia, along with operating cross-border sectors to Ontario and Quebec in Canada, though hardly all from Islip . A heavy New York route concentration caused it to touch down in Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Elmira, Islip, Ithaca, New York-La Guardia, Rochester, Syracuse and White Plains with a fleet of Piper Navajo leaders, Beech King Air 90s , B99s and B1900Cs.

The latter, a stretched version of Super King Air (which in high-density commuter configuration could have 13), retained the same low wing mount and t-tail, but its longer, 25.3-foot cabin, with a 425 cubic-foot volume, accommodates 19 with a central hallway. It was designed for multiple stop commuter routes and was powered by two wing mounted Pratt and Whitney Canada 1,100-shk PT6A-65B engines and could operate from grass and unprepared fields. First flight on September 3, 1982, it was certified the year after November 22.

The more spacious B1900D, the only other 19-seater offering standup ceiling height following the British Aerospace Jetstream 31, introduced a higher ceiling, greater internal volume, more powerful engines, modified propellers, winglets, a larger tail and an electronic flight instrument system (EFIS ) cockpit.

Another New York State-based, Long Island MacArthur operator reflected by its own name was Empire Airlines, and it at least originally flew B1900C-like equipment – in this case, the Swearingen subway.

Founded in 1976 by Paul Quackenbush, it dedicated the service of Utica / Rome & # 39; s Oneida Country Airport, often to small towns that had been abandoned by Allegheny Airlines, and eventually touched down in the ten states of Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont and Virginia and the two Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec.

By mirroring the current Allegheny-absorbed route system for Mohawk Airlines, the "Empire State" company served Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Elmira, Islip, Ithaca, New York-JFK, New York-La Guardia, Niagara Falls, Rochester, Syracuse, White Plains and Utica / Rome.

Although it operated 13 Fokker F.28-4000 Fellowship reindeer jets between 1980 and 1986, six Metro II & # 39; s formed the backbone of its former turboprop fleet.

Even stretching the six to eight passengers of the Swearingen Merlin IIIA executive aircraft, it introduced a longer aircraft hook and increased its length to 59.4 feet from Merlin's 42.2 for accommodations of up to 22, but retained its engines, wing and tail surfaces. Designed by Ed Swearingen for commuter operations, it first flew on June 11, 1970, designated SA-226TC.

Swearingen himself became a subsidiary of Fairchild Industries in November 1971, resulting in the type of San Antonio, Texas, final collection.

Air Wisconsin became the first major customer.

The upgraded Metro II, powered by 940-hp Garrett AiResearch TPE331-3U-303G engines and introduced in 1971, replaced the original octagonal square windows, had a 43.3-foot wingspan, a 12,500-pound gross weight and could sail at 294 mph.

Empire drove three daily subway flights to its Syracuse hub, departing at 1 p.m. 0905, 1525 and 1830 and facilitates connections to Albany, Binghamton, Elmira, Ithaca, Montreal, Rochester and Utica / Rome. According to the system schedule April 1, 1985, "flights 1 through 99 are operated by 85-passenger Fokker F.28 jets. Flights 100 through 999 are operated by 19-passenger Swearingen Metro II jet props."

After Empire was taken over by Piedmont Airlines in 1985, its Syracuse hub joined Piedmont & # 39; s own – that is, those in Baltimore, Charlotte and Dayton.

Northeast carriers often made their impression on the Long Island airfield, though volatile. Late to the scene, Windsor Locks, Connecticut-based Shuttle America, a low cost, de Havilland from Canada DHC-8-300 operator, service between Hartford and Buffalo, but soon touched down in Albany, Boston (in Hanscom Field), Greensboro, Islip (as of November 13, 1998), New York-La Guardia, Norfolk, Trenton and Wilmington with its half-dozen aircraft.

Boston became the battleground for several independent commuter airlines. One of the largest carriers connecting Long Island to it was Ransome Airlines.

Founded by J. Dawson Ransome in 1967 and based in the northeastern Philadelphia airport, it began in March with 11-passenger Beechcraft 18's, gradually expanding into a sizeable regional carrier with a northeastern route system. It worked both independently and adapted the major carriers to two-letter code feeder feeds, specifically such as Allegheny Commuter, Delta Connection and eventually Pan Am Express. It worked for 28 years.

Two aircraft were integrated into the expansion.

The first of these was North 262. Originally envisaged as a development of the twin-engine MH-260 Broussard, which was first flown on July 29, 1960, and which then became responsible for the state-owned North Aviation, it was modified with a circular aircraft body under pressure to make room for three consecutive seats for 24, first flying in prototype form as it redesigned North 262 two years later on December 24, then powered by two 1,080 shp Bastan VIB2 turboprops. Three pre-production and a single production example, clearly distinguishable from its dorsal fin, eventually participated in the flight test program.

With a 63.3-foot length, a 71-foot span on its high wing, and a retractable three-wheeled bicycle undercarriage, it had a gross weight of 23,370 pounds and could sail up to 233 mph.

Lake Central Airlines, an American launch customer with an order of 12, inaugurated the type in operation in May 1965, and the aircraft was transferred to Allegheny three years later after Lake Central took over. They were then run by the Allegheny Commuter consortium.

Because its French power plants prevented further sales in the United States, they were retrofitted with five-blade, 1,180 shk Pratt and Whitney Canada PT6A-45As and updated systems, and redesigned the Mohawk M-298 to reflect the FAR 298 airworthiness rules governing its operation.

First flight on January 7, 1975, it went into operation two years later with Allegheny Commuter, of which Ransome was a member.

The other major type in its fleet, perhaps then considered the "grandfather" of the early commuter turboprops, were Havilland in Canada DHC-7.

It was similar to the DHC-6 Twin Otter in overall configuration and contained a total length of 80.8 feet; a tall, straight wing with a 93-foot span; four 1,120-shk PT6A-50 turboprop engines; a substantial dorsal fin; a t-tail; a retractable tricycle undercarriage; and accommodation for 54 four-breasted passengers in a wide cabin with a galley and a toilet.

Designed for short take-off and landing operations from fields up to 2,000 feet – and in fact able to run from the Washington National Airport runway stumps without requiring a specific landing stop – it generated high lift using the five-blade, slowly rotating propeller that bathed the surface of the surfaces and eliminated the need for leading units. Apart from reducing external and internal noise levels in the cabin, it facilitates steep, controlled approaches.

Construction of two prototypes, preceded by the Canadian government's financial support, began in 1972, and they only flew three years later on March 27 and June 26. The first production version intended for launch customer Rocky Mountain airways first took to the sky on May 30, 1977.

With a payload of 11,350 pounds and a maximum take-off weight of 44,000 pounds, it had between 840 and 1,335 miles, the latter with its full fuel lift.

Ransome came as close as any other carrier to establishing a mini-commuter hub at Long Island MacArthur Airport with 23 daily M-298 and DHC-7-100 everyday nonstops, including three for Baltimore, six for Boston, two for Hartford, one for Newark, six for Philadelphia and five for Providence.

In its system timetable October 31, 1982, it declared, "Rely on Ransome Airlines, America's Most Experienced Regional Airline."

Another, albeit much smaller, commuter delivering Boston service was Precision Airlines. Based at Springfield State Airport in Springfield, Vermont, it operated the Dornier Do-228-200s.

Very loosely based on the Do-28D-2 Skyservant, a 12-passenger airplane, it sported the equally mounted "TNT Tragfluggel neuer Technologie" or "new technology wing", consisting of a Dornier A-5 airplane section with swept Tips.

Powered by two 715-shk Garrett AiResearch TPE331-5 engines, it had a length of 54.3 feet and a span of 55.7 feet. Retracting its main bogies into lower-body swings, it had a gross weight of 12,570 pounds, a maximum cruising speed of 268 mph at 10,000 feet, and 715-mile full payload range.

Its two versions, the 15-passenger Do-228-100 and the 19-passenger Do-228-200, respectively, first flew on March 28 and May 9, 1981.

According to Precision's schedule on November 15, 1983, it offered three daily nonstops to Philadelphia and three to Boston from Islip, the latter continuing to Manchester, New Hampshire.

Another Boston service provider was Business Express Airlines.

Founded in 1982 as Atlantic Air but emphasizing its business-oriented route system in its later changed name, it expanded by acquiring some of the airlines that independently operated Islip, including Pilgrim Airlines in 1986 (which itself had already taken over NewAir); Mall Airways in 1989, giving it access to the Canadian cities of Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa; and Brockway Air, also in 1989, which supplied it with a fleet of B1900C and Saab 340. The latter became its MacArthur (and northeast) workhorse.

As the first collaborative US-European design, it was produced jointly by Fairchild Corporation's Swearingen subsidiary, which already had experience with a commuter airplane, and the Swedish manufacturer Saab AB, which had traditionally not focused on the military sector, such as with its JAS- 39 Gripen mufti role combat design.

Saab began to turn its attention to a commercial application for the first time, and Saab began design studies for a 30-passenger turboprop. Because of the scale of the project, which would have been the largest industrial venture in Sweden, it sought a risk-sharing partner who, in the event, ends up being Fairchild. It would produce the wings, engine nacelles and tail, while Saab itself manufactures the hull and fin, assuming 75 percent of the program's development, system integration and certification aspects.

Designated SF-340 (for "Saab-Fairchild"), the resulting aircraft, an aerodynamically clean, low-wing monoplane with a high aspect ratio and large-span single-slit flaps, two 1,870-shp General Electric CT79B engines, and a retractable three-wheeled undercarriage , with seating for 34 passengers on a 30-inch seat slope with a staggered hallway, enclosed main storage room, a galley, a toilet and a forward, left air staircase.

With a 64.9-foot length and a 70.4-foot span, the aircraft had a payload of 7,500 pounds and a maximum take-off weight capacity of 29,000 pounds. The typical first block time fuel consumption was 1,015 pounds out of that 5,690 pounds in total.

Redesigned Saab 340, after Fairchild withdrew from the program, where 40 aircraft frames had been built, Saab became the sole manufacturer of it.

The Saab 340B, followed by the basic 340A, introduced more powerful engines, an increased horizontal stabilizer range, higher weight and greater range. The 340B Plus offered active noise and vibration control.

Business Express flew 23 S-340As and 20 S-340Bs. After the carrier was purchased by AMR Eagle Holding Corporation and became American Eagle on December 1, 2000, it continued to operate its half-dozen nonstops from Islip to Boston in the life of the new carrier, even though it ceased to exist itself.

As perhaps a minor reflection of Business Express, CommutAir also offered Long Island-Boston service. Founded in 1989 and eventually serving 22 Northeast destinations with 30 19-passenger B1900Ds, it sent three weekday flights to Boston, with the remainder of its eight flights calling Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse.

After serving as U.S. Airways Express and Continental Connection carrier, it surrendered its Boston frequencies to Colgan Air in time.

Code-Share Hub Feed Service:

Although several carriers inaugurated Islip services as independent carriers, such as Ransome, Precision, Business Express and CommutAir, they eventually continued with two-letter code agreements with major airlines from Delta Connection to Northwest Airlink. Some operated exceptionally in this deck.

One of them was the Allegheny Commmuter consortium. "USAir and Allegheny Commuter – a great team to join," proclaimed the carrier in its advertisement. "Service to over 120 cities in the United States and Canada. All flights C500 through C1999 (stated in the system schedule) are approved by the Civil Aeronautics Board. These flights are operated by Beech 99, de Havilland Twin Otter, de Havilland Dash 7, North 262, M-298, Shorts 330, CASA-212 and Swearingen Metro equipment. "

Apart from Ransome, Suburban Airlines was a significant member of the consortium, initially operating Shorts 330 and later Shorts 360 aircraft.

Based on Skyvan from the early 1960's, the former can trace some of its design elements to it. Characterized by a body stone hull for straight rear loading, a stubby, high-mounted wing, double vertical tails and a fixed three-wheel bicycle undercarriage, it could carry up to 19 passengers or 4,000 pounds of cargo.

While the longer, slimmer Shorts 330 retained Skyvan's outer wing panels, it introduced a new mid-section, five-blade PT6A-45 engines, replacing the previous Garrett AiResearch engines, a retractable landing gear and a 30-seat, three-abreast interior with enclosed overhead storage room.

Launched after receiving UK government funding, the initially designated SD3-30 first flew on August 22, 1974 and was ordered by launch customer Command Airways in the US and Time Air in Canada.

The Series 200, followed by the 100, offered a gross weight of 22,900 pounds achieved with more powerful 1,020-shk PT6A-45R power plants.

Shorts 360, the ultimate development of Skyvan and 330 descent, had a three-foot front flight stop, increasing length from 58 to 70.6 feet, a tapered stern with revised contours, a single vertical tail, improved cruise performance and the addition of two row of seats, increasing capacity from 30 to 36.

The first flight on June 1, 1981, it had a gross weight of 25,700 pounds and 243 mph high speed of 10,000 feet. Suburban Airlines was the launch customer.

Its ten-point route system included Allentown, Binghamton, Buffalo, Lancaster, Long Island, New London / Groton, Newark, New York-JFK, Philadelphia and Reading. In-flight service consisted of miniature trays of cheddar cheese spread, bread sticks, chips and a selection of drinks from the shopping cart.

The November 1, 1985 roadmap listed four weekday nonstops to Boston and five to Philadelphia from Islip.

Another early – if not the first – commuter-most important carrier collaboration was the collaboration between Henson and the Allegheny commuter.

It was formed in 1961 by Richard A. Henson as Henson Aviation, a permanent base operator in Hagerstown, Maryland, and inaugurated a planned route to Washington the following year under the name "Hagerstown Commuter." Five years later, inaugurated a two-letter code-sharing service as an Allegheny Commuter carrier, operating 15-passenger Beech 99's.

Headquartered in Salisbury, Maryland, in 1968, it maintained a three-point route system that included Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington and introduced cabin visit service with the acquisition of Shorts 330 aircraft, followed by that with the Havilland Canada DHC-8-100s .

Like its DHC-7 predecessor, but sporting two instead of four power plants, the 37-passenger Dash 8 was powered by 1,800 shkp of PW120s, and their elongated nacelles provided stowage space for the aircraft's rear-retracting head-mounted struts. With a 73-foot length and an 84.11-foot wingspan, whose center section was rectangular but whose outboard sections contained tapered and dihedral, it had a gross weight of 34,500 pounds and a speed of 310 mph.

Registered C-GDNK, it first flew in prototype on June 20, 1983 and was delivered to launch customer NorOntair on October 23 of the following year.

Before operating his own DHC-8-100s, field Henson, which had been redirected "Henson, The Piedmont Regional Airline" following Piedmont's agreement with it, field two daily B99's (flights 1710 and 1719) og tre daglige Shorts 330s (flyvninger 1502, 1528 og 1539) til Piedmont's Baltimore hub med forbindelser til Charlottesville, Hagerstown, Newport News, Norfolk, Ocean City, Richmond, Roanoke, Salisbury, Shenandoah Valley og Washington-National i henhold til tidsplanen 15. januar 1984.

En anden større luftfartsselskab, der var tilsluttet regionale, opererende fly i hovedstolens liv, ved hjælp af sin to-bogstavskode og indgåelse af en fælles markedsføringsaftale med henblik på navfoder, var Atlantic Coast, der antog profilen til United Express.

The agreement, concluded on December 15, 1989, ensured secondary city funneling into United's Chicago-O'Hare and Washington-Dulles hubs with several commuter aircraft-the Jetstream 31, the Jetstream 41, the DHC-8, and the EMB-120 among them. It was the latter type that it operated into Islip.

Building upon the foundation created by the EMB-110 Bandeirante, the EMB-120, a low-wing, circular-fuselage, t-tail design optimized for 30 three-abreast passengers, was hatched from Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica S. A.'s Sao Jose dos Campos facility in Sao Paulo. Powered by two 1,800-shp Pratt and Whitney Canada PW118 or -118A engines, it had a maximum, 298-knot speed and a 30,000-foot service ceiling.

Ideal for commuter sectors, it attracted considerable US sales, including 62 from ASA Atlantic Southeast Airlines, 40 from Comair, 70 from SkyWest, 35 from WestAir, and 34 from Texas Air.

Atlantic Coast's October 31, 1990 timetable stated, "The following carrier has a cooperative agreement with United, offering expanded destinations, coordinated schedules, and the same travel service featured on United. Applicable carrier and United flight range: Atlantic Coast/United Express: Flight numbers UA3570-UA3739."

Its four daily flights to Washington-Dulles departed at 0645, 1200, 1450, and 1800.

Although not offering much major carrier feed, another code share operator from Long Island MacArthur was Metro Air Northeast, which assumed the identify of TWExpress, dispatching five daily nonstops with Saab 340 aircraft at 0630, 0915, 1250, 1605, and 1825 to Albany with "7000" flight numbers. The first departure, for instance, was TW 7941.

Its December 1, 1990 timetable advertised, "The shortest distance between you and TWA" and "Your commuter connection to TWA."

Last Commuter Carrier Operation:

Change, the result of market conditions, was the only constant. But as fuel and operational costs increased, the number of daily commuter flights and the mostly northeast cities they served decreased. Consequently, as the airline players disappeared, so, too, did the passengers.

Like a ghost town of commuter operations whose only propeller sounds were those in the minds of the passengers who remembered them, Long Island MacArthur Airport became the stage for a final attempt at restoring them in the guise of Alaska-based PenAir.

Taking advantage of the FAA's Air Carrier Incentive Plan, which entailed reduced fees to entice new entrants to begin flights in underserved markets, it replaced the Boston service vacated by American Eagle in 2008 by inaugurating two daily Saab 340 departures, at 0840 and 1910, with one-way, $119 introductory fares, citing Islip a logical extension to its three-point route system of Bar Harbor, Presque Isle, and Plattsburgh. Yet logic did not always equal profitability and after a valiant year's effort, the carrier was left without choice but to discontinue the service due to low load factors.

After the multitude of commuter airlines had opened the passenger floodgates at Long Island MacArthur Airport during a more than five-decade period, PenAir closed them. At the dawn of 2020, there was not a single propeller providing scheduled service to be heard.

[ad_2]